NEWC Member of the Year
NEWC’S HIGHEST AWARD
The NEWC MEMBER OF THE YEAR AWARD is given to an active dues-paying member from New England who has made an outstanding contribution to the organization during the year in progress, or for services rendered throughout a recent period of time. Accomplishments made beyond the club’s usual meeting place are acceptable providing they satisfy the intent of the guidelines. The award has been presented since 1976 to individuals who have exemplified exceptional club service and leadership. NEWC members of record shall cast their vote in the month of April for one of the nominees eligible to receive this award. The NEWC Executive Board is the administrator of this award.
GUIDELINES FOR NOMINATION
To be considered for this prestigious award the nominee will have made contributions like or similar to the examples given in these guidelines. The nominee’s contributions should be substantial and recognized by a number of people. The examples do not necessarily include everything that a member could have done. They serve as a pathway in helping the nominator to consider carefully all the possible accomplishments the nominee has made that makes him or her worthy of this award. Moreover, it is advisable to speak with people who are closest to the nominee. This step will ensure that all the known credit has been gathered in preparation to completing the nomination form.
- Inspired people to take up woodcarving, helped people to improve their woodcarving skills, recruited people to become members of NEWC, or reached out to the community in a manner that promoted the art of carving.
- Taught woodcarving in different settings, tutored one or more individuals, demonstrated carving methods in use today, or made presentations of carvings in a variety of settings before an audience.
- Exhibited personal works of accomplishment, entered carvings in competition, contributed to various publications, or was/is an active carving instructor.
- Is now or may have been an officer of the club, directed a club project, worked in some capacity in the Spirit of Wood Show, or took charge of one or more membership meeting activities.
2011 - 2012 NEWC Member of the Year Schedule of Events
November - December
- Call for nominations published in November – December newsletter.
- Nomination form published in newsletter and also made available at December 4, 2011 NEWC meeting
- Members may access NEWC website for guidelines, nomination form, and schedule of events.
- Deadline for nominations is JANUARY 15, 2012.
- At the January 21, 2012 Executive Board meeting nominations reviewed to ensure candidate is a bonafide NEWC member.
- Sub-committee of the Executive Board will summarize, for the voting ballot, candidate’s information that was submitted on the nomination form and attachments.
March – April
- Ballots will be published in the March – April newsletter.
- Ballots will also be available for voting at the April 15, 2012 membership meeting.
- NEWC members in good standing are eligible to vote.
- Deadline for balloting is MAY 1, 2012.
- Ballots will be counted by the sub-committee at the Executive Board meeting on May 5, 2012.
- Award will be presented to the 2012 NEWC MEMBER OF THE YEAR by the President at the awards ceremony on June 3, 2012.
- Letter of acknowledgement and appreciation will be sent to all nominees and nominators.
2010 - 2011 NEWC Member of the Year Award Recipients
|Year||Member of the Year|
1976 - 2009 Carver of the Year
This award was given to a member who made an outstanding or exceptional contribution to the membership and the community during the year or throughout a period of time. The Carver of the Year award has been presented since 1976 to individuals whose carving artistry exemplifies the extraordinary commmitment of service and leadership in promoting the aims of the organization.
In considering a candidate for this distinguished award, five important requirements were looked at before nomination. Each nominee demonstrated his or her ability to:
- be a woodcarver
- have attended at least three meetings a year
- been a NEWC member in good standing for a minimum of three consecutive years
- be recognized in the community for encouraging, promoting, and furthering woodcarving in one or more art forms
- must have demonstrated to the membership their effort in advancing the legitimate ends and aims of the New England Woodcarvers organization.
1976 - 2009 Carver of the Year Award Membership Recipients
|Year||Carver of the Year|
|1977||Edgar Sachs & Rita Galvin|
|1978||Frank & Dot Cotter|
|1984||M. Paul Ward|
|1985||Bob & Phillis Hogg|
|1986||Dexter & Flo Schaffner|
|1987||F. Richard Amirault|
|1990||Bob & Mary Doucette|
|1992||D. Judson Hindes|
|1993||Edwin C. Guy|
|1994||Basil A. Leblanc|